Tuesday 11 December 2007

Conference Round-up

Only time will tell, but I can’t help thinking that this might be the pinnacle of the Web 2.0 and social networking tools bubble and it will be interesting to see what happens over the next year to eighteen months.

One message which was repeated several times, in different contexts was the need to actually use and engage with the different applications in order to fully explore their potential and make judgements regarding their use or otherwise to support existing services or provide new ones. Over the next few months I am going to try and put this into practice, although for the life of me I can’t see the value of Twitter, but I might yet be converted?

Privacy is going to be a long term issue I think. In the years to come will people regret being quite so open and honest on Face book, Fwitter, etc., ?

For me the conference has proved that Web 2.0 and its associated tools and networks can successfully provide new and different ways to communicate and disseminate information.

Probably, unsurprisingly, I had only been thinking about this prior to the conference in terms the tools commonly used by students, like Facebook, Flickr and YouTube. However, the presentations proved the value of these tools to support business as well either inside or outside the firewall.


Other Conference Blogs
Information Today
Information World Review

Photos
Conference Photos via Flickr

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Search for hullunilecturer on YouTube to see how this medium can be used for teaching.